Austria: Right-Wing Party Opens Parliamentary Inquiry against the RCIT Section
Biggest Opposition Party smears the Trotskyists for alleged “Left-Wing Extremism”, “Antisemitism” and “Radical Islamism” and asks the Federal Ministry of the Interior to officially investigate them.
Report from the RKO BEFREIUNG (Austrian Section of the RCIT), 29.01.2017, www.rkob.net
A group of parliamentary deputies of the Freiheitliche Party (FPÖ) around MP David Lasar has put forward an official inquiry in the Austrian parliament. (1) In this inquiry, the deputies of the FPÖ – an extreme right-wing party which got 20.5% at the last national election and is currently leading the polls – accuse the Austrian section of the RCIT as well as the leading organization of the Egypt migrants of “Left-Wing Extremism”, “Antisemitism” and “Radical Islamism”. (2) As a consequence, they ask the Federal Ministry of the Interior to officially investigate the two organizations.
The right-wing FPÖ justify its inquiry by referring to the anti-racist demonstration on 26 November 2016 and the role which the contingent of the Austrian section – together with our allied migrant organizations – played there. As we reported at that time, Muslim migrants which participated in our contingent – which was the largest at the demonstration and had many migrants from Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Iran and other countries in its ranks – were physically attacked by hard-core pro-Zionist people from the Black Bloc (so-called “Anti-Germans”). (3)
As concrete evidence for their smear these right-wing deputies refer to our pro-Palestinian slogans at the demonstration (like “Freedom for Palestine” or “Israel and US are mocking human rights”), to Arabic slogans directed against the Egypt military dictatorship (concretely Lasar is referring to the slogans “Down with the military dictatorship” and “The people want to overthrow the regime”) as well as the use of the R4BIA symbol (in memory of the thousands who were killed demonstrating in Rabia square on the 14th August 2013).
The right-wing extremists of the FPÖ led by HC Strache are well known for their militant Islamophobic and anti-refugee hate campaign. They also call for an increase of monitoring and repression against revolutionary organizations as well as Muslim migrant forces. They have close relations to the Russian Putin regime and are also fanatical supporters of Israel.
David Lasar, the initiator of the parliamentary inquiry, is a prominent member of the party. He is the official contact person to the Israeli state and has built many links to extreme right-wing parties who are dominating the Israeli government. He is also a prominent member of the Zionist federation in Austria and tries to help his party in overcoming its historic image as an anti-Semitic party. It is symbolic for the reactionary character of the party as well as Lasar himself that in summer 2011 Lasar personally went to Libya during the popular uprising to meet – in a show of solidarity with the reactionary dictatorship – Gaddafi’s son.
With the victory of Trump it is clear that extreme reactionary forces like the FPÖ in Austria feel encouraged to push for an increase in state repression against revolutionary organizations as well as Muslim migrant forces. This parliamentary inquiry is only the latest and most significant attack which the Austrian section of the RCIT has experienced during the past few years. (4) We are not surprised by these attacks as we are raising our voice and are participating in many practical solidarity activities with various migrant organizations. It is a result of our unambiguous revolutionary opposition against imperialist wars and occupation as well as against racism and Islamophobie. These latest events will only strengthen our determination.
We call on all progressive forces to show their solidarity with us by protesting against the right wing parliamentary inquiry and to reject any legal measures by the Austrian state against the Austrian section of the RCIT as well as against the Egyptian migrant organization.
(1) Anfrage des Abgeordneten David Lasar und weiterer Abgeordneter an den Bundesminister für Inneres betreffend Juristisches Nachspiel für Teilnehmerinnen an der Demonstration ” Let them stay” auf der Mariahilferstraße, 11459/J vom 24.01.2017 (XXV.GP), http://www.parlament.gv.at/PAKT/VHG/XXV/I/I11459/imfname_609705.pdf. Our first response has been the following press announcement: AVISO: Parlamentsanfrage von FPÖ-Lasar ist Verhöhnung der Opfer. FPÖ-Abgeordnete um David Lasar über die ägyptische Revolution, Israel und die Vorfälle auf der Demonstration für Asylrecht am 26. November 2016 (OTS), Presseaussendung von Michael Pröbsting (Sprecher der RKO BEFREIUNG) und Ibrahim Ali (Sprecher des Koordinationsrates der ägyptischen Gemeinde), 25.01.2017, http://www.ots.at/presseaussendung/OTS_20170126_OTS0004/aviso-parlamentsanfrage-von-fpoe-lasar-ist-verhoehnung-der-opfer
(2) The official name of the Egypt migrant organization is Coordination Council of the Egyptian Community.
(3) Austria: “Left-Wing” Zionists Attack Arab Migrants at Demonstration in Solidarity with Refugees! Report (with Pictures and Videos) from the anti-racist Demonstration on 26 November in Vienna by the Austrian Section of the RCIT, 27.11.2016, https://www.thecommunists.net/rcit/zionists-attack-rcit-austria/
(4) See e.g. RCIT: Stop Judicial Prosecution for Solidarity with Palestine! A Call to the Austrian State to Drop Its Charges against Michael Pröbsting! https://www.thecommunists.net/rcit/solidarity-proebsting/; RKOB: Austria: “Left-Wing” Zionists Attack Arab Migrants at Demonstration in Solidarity with Refugees! Report (with Pictures and Videos) from the anti-racist Demonstration on 26 November in Vienna by the Austrian Section of the RCIT, 27.11.2016, https://www.thecommunists.net/rcit/zionists-attack-rcit-austria/; RKOB: KPÖ schließt RKOB aus und macht den Weg frei für Frauenschläger der Anti-Nationalen Szene. Wiederholter körperlicher Angriff auf Genossin Gunić am Volksstimmefest, Bericht der Revolutionär-Kommunistischen Organisation BEFREIUNG zum Volksstimmefest 2016, 05.09.2016, https://www.rkob.net/wer-wir-sind-1/rkob-aktiv-bei/bericht-vs-fest-2016/; Report on May Day 2016 in Austria: Joint Resistance against Racist Attacks. Forceful, militant, internationalist demonstration despite racist attacks, Report (with Pictures and Videos) on the multinational, internationalist demonstration in Vienna marking May Day 2016 organized by the Revolutionary Communist Organization LIBERATION, https://www.thecommunists.net/rcit/report-may-day-2016-in-austria/; RCIT: Victory! The Charge against RKOB Spokesperson and Palestine Solidarity Activist Johannes Wiener has been dropped! 10.1.2013, http://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/solidarity-with-wiener-won/
- Parliamentary Inquiry against RCIT Section
- Global Day of Action vs. Trump
- International Women’s Demo vs Trump
- Public Meeting Syria 13.1.2017
- Urgent Call Revolutionary Unity
- Greetings New Year 2017
- More Demos for Aleppo
- Demo for Aleppo
- Zionists Attack RCIT Austria
- 1st RCIT World Congress
- Interview Proebsting
- Rally for Aleppo
- Video Iraq Syria Palestine Solidarity
- Video Revolutionary Unity
- CP Bars RCIT from Festival
- RCIT on TV on Islamophobia
- Fusion ALS
- Open Letter LIT QI
- Solidarity with Mexican Teachers
- Open Letter on BREXIT
- Joint Statement Syria
- 20 June demonstrations and meetings
- Open Letter Refugees & Arab Revolution
- Call 20 June Refugees & Arab Revolution
- MayDay Statement 2016
- Open Letter Revolutionary Unity
- Solidarity Proebsting
- List Signatures
- Video Solidarity Proebsting
- CCR Platform 2016
- Video Pro-Refugee
- Report May Day 2016 in Austria
- Demonstration for Refugees
- Speech against Coup in Brazil
- Communists in Austrian TV